    SubjectRe: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (tip tree related)
    On 08/02/2010 06:42 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

    > I'm happy to wait and sit on the memblock churn until after ARM's in.
    >
    > I can then fixup my patches.

    As far as x86 is concerned, I would like to try to get the whole thing
    into -tip fairly early in a kernel cycle, so that it can get -tip/-next
    testing for a while before merging.

    I would much rather smoke out bugs like the qla2xxx failing to implement
    .shutdown and therefore doing DMA on random memory than just paper it
    over by functionally re-implementing a bunch of the memblock guts in x86.

    I still think that the memblock approach of having a separate data
    structure for all of memory and one for various used blocks is flawed,
    and that it would be a lot better to have a single data structure with
    attributes. It would definitely make allocation saner. Given that,
    there is a strong reason to keep as little of the guts exposed as possible.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2010-08-03 05:17    [W:0.020 / U:30.232 seconds]