SubjectRe: linux-next: build failure after merge of the final tree (tip tree related)
On 08/02/2010 06:42 PM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> I'm happy to wait and sit on the memblock churn until after ARM's in.
>
> I can then fixup my patches.

As far as x86 is concerned, I would like to try to get the whole thing
into -tip fairly early in a kernel cycle, so that it can get -tip/-next
testing for a while before merging.

I would much rather smoke out bugs like the qla2xxx failing to implement
.shutdown and therefore doing DMA on random memory than just paper it
over by functionally re-implementing a bunch of the memblock guts in x86.

I still think that the memblock approach of having a separate data
structure for all of memory and one for various used blocks is flawed,
and that it would be a lot better to have a single data structure with
attributes. It would definitely make allocation saner. Given that,
there is a strong reason to keep as little of the guts exposed as possible.

-hpa

  Last update: 2010-08-03 05:17    [W:0.051 / U:0.684 seconds]