SubjectRe: periods and deadlines in SCHED_DEADLINE
On Sun, 2010-07-11 at 09:32 +0200, Bjoern Brandenburg wrote:

> Trying to infer whether a task is "hard" or "soft" from task
> parameters is not a good idea, IMO. It's much better to make this an
> explicit part of the task model that is configured via sched_setparam.
> By default, tasks should be marked "soft" (this leaves more wiggle
> room to the kernel); users who care can change the flag to "hard".

I think we're in violent agreement here ;-) and I was convinced that was
what we were talking about. The question was only how to represent that
in the sched_param_ex structure, the options were:

struct sched_param_ex params;

params.flags |= SF_SOFT;
sched_setscheduler_ex( .policy = SCHED_DEADLINE, .param = &params);

vs

sched_setscheduler_ex( .policy = SCHED_DEADLINE_{SOFT,HARD},
.param = &params);

> Taking a step back, I think the problem here is that we are trying to
> shove too many concepts and properties into a single scheduler. Hard
> (no tardiness) is different from soft (bounded tardiness) is different
> from global is different from partitioned.
>
> From my point of view, it makes no sense to support hard deadlines
> under G-EDF (this is backed up by our schedulability studies [1]).
> Hard deadlines are best served by a P-EDF implementation (that only
> migrates on task creation/admission).

The problem is more that we need to support things like cpu affinity and
cpusets within the context of a 'global' scheduler.

Using cpusets we can partition the 'load-balancer' and create clusters
(root-domains in linux scheduler speak).

Using cpu affinity we can limit tasks to a subset of their cluster's
cpus.

Esp. the latter is very hard to do, and I think we can get away with
only allowing a single cpu or the full cluster (its a new policy, so
there is no existing userspace to break).

This ends up meaning we need to support both P-EDF and G-EDF for soft,
and since we want to re-use pretty much all the code and only have a
different admission test for hard (initially), it would end up also
being P/G-EDF for hard (even though as you rightly point out, hard G-EDF
is pretty pointless -- but since the policy doesn't promise EDF, we
could later improve it to be PD^2 or whatever, at which point global
hard does start to make sense).

(which I guess would suggest we use different policies instead of a
flag, since that would make most sense if we end up replacing the hard
part with another policy)

So what I want to have is a sporadic task scheduler, not an EDF
scheduler (hence also the request to s/SCHED_EDF/SCHED_DEADLINE/ --
avoiding the obvious SCHED_SPORADIC in order to avoid confusion with the
POSIX thing).

EDF is just the easiest of the many different ways to schedule a
sporadic task set.

  Last update: 2010-08-02 21:37    [W:1.413 / U:0.128 seconds]