    SubjectRe: [S+Q3 00/23] SLUB: The Unified slab allocator (V3)
    On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Christoph Lameter wrote:

    > > Ok, so this is panicking because of the error handling when trying to
    > > create sysfs directories with the same name (in this case, :dt-0000064).
    > > I'll look into while this isn't failing gracefully later, but I isolated
    > > this to the new code that statically allocates the DMA caches in
    > > kmem_cache_init_late().
    >
    > Hmm.... Strange. The DMA caches should create a distinct pattern there.

    They do after patch 11 when you introduce dynamically sized kmalloc
    caches, but not after only patches 1-8 were applied. Since this wasn't
    booting on my system, I bisected the problem to patch 8 where
    kmem_cache_init_late() would create two DMA caches of size 64 bytes: one
    becauses of kmalloc_caches[0] (kmem_cache_node) and one because of
    kmalloc_caches[6] (2^6 = 64). So my fixes are necessary for patch 8 but
    obsoleted later, and then the shared cache support panics on memset().

    > > - the entire iteration in kmem_cache_init_late() needs to be protected by
    > > slub_lock. The comment in create_kmalloc_cache() should be revised
    > > since you're no longer calling it only with irqs disabled.
    > > kmem_cache_init_late() has irqs enabled and, thus, slab_caches must be
    > > protected.
    >
    > I moved it to kmem_cache_init() which is run when we only have one
    > execution thread. That takes care of the issue and ensures that the dma
    > caches are available as early as before.

    I didn't know if that was a debugging patch for me or if you wanted to
    push that as part of your series, I'm not sure if you actually need to
    move it to kmem_cache_init() now that slub_state is protected by
    slub_lock. I'm not sure if we want to allocate DMA objects between
    kmem_cache_init() and kmem_cache_init_late().

      Last update: 2010-08-17 20:05    [W:0.022 / U:182.356 seconds]