SubjectCloning arch-independant KConfig
Sam,
I guess this is either a feature request or just wondering
whether KConfig supports this idea.
Often I have a wonderful minimal .config that builds a test
kernel. It only compiles the things I want in my kernel and modules,
nothing more. Usually I start from a distro kernel and then keep
turning things off until I reach some minimum.
However, when I get a new machine of a different architecture, I
can't bring that work forward. If I take this .config to that arch, the
oldconfig just breaks. I don't get good defaults for the arch-specific
stuff. Conversely, if I start from a distro .config for the new arch, I
have to repeat all the whittle-down work.
Is there any way to "extract" the non-arch-specific config
values? Essentially, all the "use USB, build ext3, give me these
network cards" fields should be kept, but I want to start from a default
architecture config.

Joel

--

"Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate."
- Thomas Jones

Joel Becker
Consulting Software Developer
Oracle
E-mail: joel.becker@oracle.com
Phone: (650) 506-8127

  Last update: 2010-08-13 01:41    [W:0.049 / U:1.588 seconds]