SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread, take three
From
On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras@gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct, but still a considerable amount of changes would need to be
> done, which _nobody_ has expressed any intention to do.
>
> Besides, IMO a good mobile platform would share as much as possible
> with desktop software. Say, the improvements Nokia has endorsed on the
> Telepathy IM framework can only help the people already using it on
> the desktop.
>
> However, personally, if I ever have to do './configure
> --enable-suspend-blockers', I would think that something that just
> doesn't belong has creped by to user-space. I don't see why there
> should something particularly different between mobile phones and
> laptops, and I think this has been already expressed over, and over.

So, because you feel that phones should be little laptops you oppose
providing (optional!) support for environments that take a different
view to that?

I'll echo Ted's question -- is this the opinion of the kernel
community at large? If so, there's not much point in continuing to
have discussions around suspend blockers.

I think that we're still a ways away from a world where we can treat
mobile devices the same as laptops and get reasonable user
experiences. I think it's unfortunate if the attitude here is "wait
and someday it won't matter", especially because I'm skeptical that
we're likely to hit that "someday" any time soon.

Brian

  Last update: 2010-08-12 19:35    [W:0.212 / U:0.052 seconds]