    SubjectRe: Attempted summary of suspend-blockers LKML thread
    On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

    > > > o "Power-aware application" are applications that are permitted
    > > > to acquire suspend blockers on Android. Verion 8 of the
    > > > suspend-blocker patch seems to use group permissions to
    > > > determine which applications are classified as power aware.
    > > >
    > > > More generally, power-aware applications seem to be those that
    > > > have permission to exert some control over the system's
    > > > power state.
    > >
    > > I don't like the term "Power aware application". An application is well
    > > behaved or it isn't. "aware" has nothing to do with it.
    > Applications are often complex enough to be aware of some things, naive
    > about others, well behaved in some ways, and ill-behaved in others.
    > This has been the case for some decades now, so it should not come as
    > a surprise.
    > I am of course open to suggestions for alternatives to the term "power
    > aware application", but most definitely not to obfuscating the difference
    > between power awareness (or whatever name one wishes to call it) and
    > the overall quality of the application, whatever "quality" might mean
    > in a given context.

    This is a false dichotomy. The two of you have fallen into a logical
    trap. I forget the word used to describe an argument based on a
    fundamental misunderstanding, but it applies here.

    The term "power-aware" has _nothing_ to do with how well behaved an
    application is, or its quality (in any sense). Go back and re-read the
    definition; you'll see what I mean.

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-08-01 21:47    [W:0.020 / U:26.348 seconds]