SubjectHTC Dream drivers was Re: [linux-pm] suspend blockers & Android integration
Hi!

> > So for people who really care about running a mainline kernel on their
> > android device doing that part first on a generic ARM board in qemu
> > might be much better first step work.
>
> > On the other hand I've heard
> > that various hardware vendors or parties closed to them are rather
> > annoyed by their drivers beeing stuck in the android tree - but that
> > can be easily solved by getting removing the suspend blockers (at least
> > temporarily), cleaning up a few bits here and there and getting them in.
>
> This continues to baffle me. If we (Google) are such a headache, why
> not just route around us. The drivers we've written are GPLv2, the

Well, we did route around you, and that's why the HTC Dream drivers
are in
staging.

Unfortunately...

> source is out there for anyone who wants it, etc. The drivers other
> people have written we have no control over at all. From my point of
> view it'd be an annoyance if somebody took the code we wrote, modified
> it heavily, and pushed it upstream, but fundamentally I can't stop
> that from happening other than by pushing it upstream myself, first.

...you were calling bloody murder when we tried to name them right way
-- thats board_dream, not board_trout -- and AFAIK you still did not
switch to actually using those drivers so that diffs would grow
smaller...

And no, it is not 'just arm architecture #1536'; due to strange
baseband/cpu split in msm drivers end up quite big&complex...

Pavel

  Last update: 2010-07-09 21:15    [W:0.202 / U:0.784 seconds]