    SubjectRe: patch "U6715 8250 serial like driver" added to gregkh-2.6 tree
    > > I think what you need to keep this clean is to create a
    > > port->set_termios() for the 8250 port (akin to
    > > port->serial_in/serial_out) which does the specials you need each end and
    > > calls the standard serial8250_set_termios)
    > >
    > I don't think so, call a function which compute clock each time
    > we access UART registers isn't optimal, another function to overload ?

    set_termios() gets called once at init time and once each time a
    caller requests a change in serial parameters. That's not usually
    considered a hot path. I'm not suggesting you hide it in the register
    methods but add ->set_termios as a method that can be overridden, plus
    export the existing one so you can wrap it.

    If you can't detect the chip then create yourself a u6715 driver file
    which registers the ports you have and specifies the relevant
    serial_in/out methods and other detail as well as containing the board
    specific routines needed.

    See arch/arm/mach-omap2/serial.c for a ARM example doing this, where all
    the chip knowledge is nicely buried away in the platform support.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-07-27 10:05    [W:0.022 / U:29.936 seconds]