    SubjectRe: support for drives larger than 2TiB
    On Sat, 24 Jul 2010, Greg Freemyer wrote:
    > Secondly, if you look at the table on the right of
    > you
    > see that the starting sector of a partition is defined with a 32-bit
    > value.
    > ie. 2TB with 512 byte sectors.
    > The normal solution is to move to a GPT which requires EFI if you want
    > to boot from it.

    Can't one have a GPT with a guard boot sector which can read the real
    partition table?

    I think Tejun must mean some big problem at the BIOS APIs required for the
    bootloader. Tejun, what exactly croaks at the 2TB boundary (with 512KiB

    Henrique Holschuh

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-07-25 01:25    [W:0.025 / U:74.132 seconds]