    SubjectRe: [BUG] dm9601 driver won't init device properly
    On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 10:44 -0400, Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu wrote:
    > Wow. An "ethernet" card that won't do an MTU of 1500 even under
    > Windows. May I
    > add this to my gallery of examples I use when people say "no vendor
    > could
    > *possibly* ship hardware that fscked up"? :)

    A lot of these "cards" are not meant for you and I. They are meant for
    casual desktop users that would never put any amount of load on them.

    About 6 years ago we needed some PCMCIA modem cards and bought 100 of
    them from a vendor for $25/ea. They started failing in the field. When
    calling they just could not sync up. Only a reboot could fix the
    problem. What we learned was that a combination of heat and other
    factors caused them to drift so much the timing was off. We replaced
    those in the field with Zoom 3075 at about $65/ea. These modems were
    not meant for our solution. They were meant for casual laptop users
    that needed to dial an ISP every so often. I was expecting them to work
    in a box that would stay up 24x7. They couldn't handle it. I wrote a
    perl program that used a TLS-4 simulator and would dial the modem
    constantly. The failures were too much. On the Zooms we would average
    10 failures per 1000 calls.

      Last update: 2010-07-24 17:51    [W:0.020 / U:0.840 seconds]