    SubjectFilesystem hints to storage

    The NVMHCI working group has specified [1] a set of attributes for
    filesystems to pass down to devices which may allow the device to lay
    out its storage more effectively (eg if it's a hybrid MLC/SLC device).

    For Enterprise NVMHCI, the working group is looking at refining these
    hints. Are there any hints that people would like to see added or
    removed from the list in NVMHCI 1.0?

    I think there are some hints that are hard for the filesystem to know
    itself, never mind pass down, so it'd be good to remove them to reduce
    the complexity. Contrariwise, there are some hints I think the filesystem
    could pass down that aren't in the spec today, such as the flags from
    madvise (random access vs sequential access) and whether the access is
    for fs metadata or application data.

    Page 35, figure 26

    Matthew Wilcox Intel Open Source Technology Centre
    a retrograde step."

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-07-22 20:11    [W:0.019 / U:1.612 seconds]