SubjectRe: linux-next: OOPS at boot time
On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 05:44:24PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 08:45:25 +1000 Dave Chinner <david@fromorbit.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I get it all the time. See the thread "Subject: Re: linux-next: Tree for
> > > July 7".
> >
> > Yet nobody else seems to be able to reproduce it. Given that powerPC
> > is good at triggering reace conditions, maybe there is one that
> > only you are unlucky eough to trigger.
> >
> > Rather than just commenting out the BUG_ON() and ignoring the
> > problem, can you print out the inode state (and enough information
> > to identify the filesystem the inode belongs to) before triggering
> > the BUG_ON() so we can get some idea of how this is triggering?
>
> Already did. ext3. I_DIRTY_SYNC, I_DIRTY_DATASYNC and I_DIRTY_PAGES
> are set (i_state=0x67).
>
> A bit of poking around indicates that these inodes always have zero
> attached pages,

They should, because by the time that bug fires they should have had
all their pages stripped away.

> and they were dirtied within dquot_free_space().

AFAICT dquot_free_space() is called deep in the guts of
ext3_truncate() via dquot_free_block(), which is called directly
before end_writeback(). That should overwrite any state changes made
inside ext3_truncate. I wonder if iput_final() is racing with
something else here?

> This isn't necessarily a problem in the quota code (setting aside the
> question: why the heck does dquot_free_space() set I_DIRTY_PAGES??).
> If the vfs is asked to kill off a dirty inode, it should at least clean
> the thing first.
>
> I dunno. That fs/inode.c patch series from Viro looks fishy. I guess
> I get to bisect it tomorrow.

I suspect that is the only way to get to the bottom of this, short
of a reliable reproducer being discovered. I'm still trying to
reproduce it - I've even turned quota on - but I'm not having any
more luck than over the weekend, though...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner
david@fromorbit.com

  Last update: 2010-07-21 07:23    [W:0.860 / U:0.400 seconds]