    SubjectRe: Closed source userspace graphics drivers with an open source kernel component
    On Fri, Jul 02, 2010 at 01:10:29PM +0200, Luc Verhaegen wrote:
    [...]
    > > They'll keep shipping closed stuff, just like they are now. Are you
    > > going to reverse engineer the userspace drivers, so people who care
    > > about open and free software platforms can use these drivers? (or have
    > > you already signed NDAs saying you can't). Why should we maintain a
    > > bunch of kernel code, when they are hiding away all the really useful
    > > stuff that people could improve.
    >
    > Maintaining this exact code is not _your_ job, [...]

    Correct, it's not solely his job, but it's also every kernel
    developers' job.

    When I change kernel API I have to grep through all the kernel
    drivers, sometimes understand how they work, and then make the
    change to the whole kernel source tree.

    And I would not want to maintain this code, as these drivers
    are wasting my time without returning anything back.

    It was said many times. Actually, so many times that it started
    to become boring to repeat, and the Kernel Driver Statement was
    written:

    "We, the undersigned Linux kernel developers, consider any
    closed-source Linux kernel module or driver to be harmful and
    undesirable."

    http://www.linuxfoundation.org/collaborate/publications/kernel-driver-statement

    While the doc mostly says "kernel code", I truly believe that
    there's actually no huge difference between "closed-source
    kernel module" and "open source dummy kernel module + userspace
    blob".

    Both are closed source solutions, and generally useless for the
    open source. And, what is worse, the last one is harmful for me
    personally.

    --
    Anton Vorontsov
    email: cbouatmailru@gmail.com

      Last update: 2010-07-02 16:05    [W:0.020 / U:0.132 seconds]