SubjectRe: BUG: Securityfs and bind mounts (2.6.34)
Date
On Thursday 08 Jul 2010 16:46:48 Greg KH wrote:

> > > securitfs just uses libfs underneath it, and really doesn't have any
> > > bindings for module ownerships, so I wouldn't recommend doing what you
> > > just did.
> >
> > Just do double check what you are saying, securityfs is not safe for use
> > from modules? If so I would then recommend removing the exports otherwise
> > it is an invitation to shoot yourself into the foot.
>
> Hm, did you properly set the module owner of the file_operations that
> you passed to securityfs? That should protect if you have an open file,
> but I doubt anyone thought you would do crazy things like bind mounts on
> top of a ramfs and then think it was safe to unload a lower module :)

Hi again,

Here is the reproducer. Build the attached test module and put test.ko in the
cwd. Then run:

umount /sys/kernel/security
mount none -t securityfs /sys/kernel/security/
insmod test.ko
mount file --bind /sys/kernel/security/test/file
rmmod test
insmod test.ko
umount /sys/kernel/security/test/file
umount /sys/kernel/security # <-------- BANG:

It is a bit different than what I initially said. It looks like reference
counting on a dentry gets messed up once securityfs_create_dir() in second
insmod of test.ko fails with -EEXIST.

HTH,

Tvrtko

Sophos Plc, The Pentagon, Abingdon Science Park, Abingdon, OX14 3YP, United Kingdom.
Company Reg No 2096520. VAT Reg No GB 348 3873 20.
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/module.h>
#include <linux/fs.h>
#include <linux/security.h>

static struct dentry *root;
static struct dentry *file;

static int test_open(struct inode *inode, struct file *file)
{
return -1;
}

static struct file_operations test_fops = {
.owner = THIS_MODULE,
.open = test_open,
};

static int __init test_init(void)
{
root = securityfs_create_dir("test", NULL);
if (IS_ERR(root)) {
printk("error creating root %d\n", PTR_ERR(root));
return PTR_ERR(root);
}

file = securityfs_create_file("file", S_IRUSR, root, NULL, &test_fops);
if (IS_ERR(file)) {
printk("error creating file %d\n", PTR_ERR(file));
securityfs_remove(root);
return PTR_ERR(file);
}

return 0;
}

static void __exit test_exit(void)
{
securityfs_remove(file);
securityfs_remove(root);
}

MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

module_init(test_init);
module_exit(test_exit);

  Last update: 2010-07-14 18:27    [W:0.042 / U:0.248 seconds]