    SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files

    On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 01:50:47PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Linus Torvalds
    > <> wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Nicolas Pitre <> wrote:
    > >> I think Uwe could provide his script and add it to the kernel tree.
    > >> Then all architectures could benefit from it.  Having the defconfig
    > >> files contain only those options which are different from the defaults
    > >> is certainly more readable, even on x86.
    > >
    > > Quite possible. But maintainers would need to be on the lookout of
    > > people actually using the script, and refusing to apply patches that
    > > re-introduce the whole big thing.
    > I can (partially) speak for powerpc. If ARM uses this approach, then
    > I think we can do the same. After the defconfigs are trimmed, I
    > certainly won't pick up any more full defconfigs.
    I just restarted my script on the powerpc defconfigs basing on rc5, I
    assume they complete in a few days time.

    > Of course, I'm also operating under the assumption that this is a
    > temporary measure until one of the better solutions is implemented.

    > do suspect that the trimmed defconfigs will tend to be unstable and
    > will still require manual maintenance. I think the Kconfig fragments
    > approach is the most promising if the dependencies issue can be
    > solved.
    I don't understand what you mean with unstable here. They are sensible
    to changed defaults in the Kconfig files which you can consider to be
    good or bad.

    And ack, I like the Kconfig approach, too.

    Best regards

    Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
    Industrial Linux Solutions | |

      Last update: 2010-07-13 09:11    [W:0.029 / U:38.368 seconds]