SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files
Hi

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 01:50:47PM -0600, Grant Likely wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM, Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:17 PM, Nicolas Pitre <nico@fluxnic.net> wrote:
> >> I think Uwe could provide his script and add it to the kernel tree.
> >> Then all architectures could benefit from it.  Having the defconfig
> >> files contain only those options which are different from the defaults
> >> is certainly more readable, even on x86.
> >
> > Quite possible. But maintainers would need to be on the lookout of
> > people actually using the script, and refusing to apply patches that
> > re-introduce the whole big thing.
>
> I can (partially) speak for powerpc. If ARM uses this approach, then
> I think we can do the same. After the defconfigs are trimmed, I
> certainly won't pick up any more full defconfigs.
I just restarted my script on the powerpc defconfigs basing on rc5, I
assume they complete in a few days time.

> Of course, I'm also operating under the assumption that this is a
> temporary measure until one of the better solutions is implemented.
ack

> do suspect that the trimmed defconfigs will tend to be unstable and
> will still require manual maintenance. I think the Kconfig fragments
> approach is the most promising if the dependencies issue can be
> solved.
I don't understand what you mean with unstable here. They are sensible
to changed defaults in the Kconfig files which you can consider to be
good or bad.

And ack, I like the Kconfig approach, too.

Best regards
Uwe

--
Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |