    SubjectRe: HDD not suspending properly / dead on resume
    Date
    Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
    > On Saturday, July 10, 2010, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:
    > > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > I have a box where this problem is kind of reproducible, but it happens _very_
    > rarely. Also I can't reproduce it on demand running suspend-resume in a tight
    > loop. Are you able to reproduce it more regurarly?

    For me it is much more reproducible. If I run multiple direct writing
    dd-s to the disk in question I trigger it rather reliably (~75% or
    higher). See the attached script from an earlier email.
    Maybe that helps triggering your case more reliabl, too?

    > Also, what kind of disk do you use?

    It is a Samsung HM321HI in a Samsung Eikee R525 notebook, please also
    see my smartctl -a log, attached earlier.

    Interesting, I have a similar symptom on one of my home servers,
    which has a *Samsung* SpinPoint F1 and it went away with different
    disks. So maybe these disks are either faulty themselves or they
    trigger the issue more often?

    I also have a LVM on top of LUKS on the disk. So the I/O will also
    add some computational overhead for encryption.

    Stephan

      Last update: 2010-07-10 08:53    [W:0.037 / U:61.124 seconds]