SubjectRe: HDD not suspending properly / dead on resume
Date
Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Saturday, July 10, 2010, Stephan Diestelhorst wrote:
> > Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> I have a box where this problem is kind of reproducible, but it happens _very_
> rarely. Also I can't reproduce it on demand running suspend-resume in a tight
> loop. Are you able to reproduce it more regurarly?

For me it is much more reproducible. If I run multiple direct writing
dd-s to the disk in question I trigger it rather reliably (~75% or
higher). See the attached script from an earlier email.
Maybe that helps triggering your case more reliabl, too?

> Also, what kind of disk do you use?

It is a Samsung HM321HI in a Samsung Eikee R525 notebook, please also
see my smartctl -a log, attached earlier.

Interesting, I have a similar symptom on one of my home servers,
which has a *Samsung* SpinPoint F1 and it went away with different
disks. So maybe these disks are either faulty themselves or they
trigger the issue more often?

I also have a LVM on top of LUKS on the disk. So the I/O will also
add some computational overhead for encryption.

Stephan

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans