    SubjectRe: [RFC 3/3] mm: iommu: The Virtual Contiguous Memory Manager
    On Thu, 2010-07-01 at 15:00 -0700, Zach Pfeffer wrote:

    > Additionally, the current IOMMU interface does not allow users to
    > associate one page table with multiple IOMMUs unless the user explicitly
    > wrote a muxed device underneith the IOMMU interface. This also could be
    > done, but would have to be done for every such use case. Since the
    > particular topology is run-time configurable all of these use-cases and
    > more can be expressed without pushing the topology into the low-level
    > IOMMU driver.
    >
    > The VCMM takes the long view. Its designed for a future in which the
    > number of IOMMUs will go up and the ways in which these IOMMUs are
    > composed will vary from system to system, and may vary at
    > runtime. Already, there are ~20 different IOMMU map implementations in
    > the kernel. Had the Linux kernel had the VCMM, many of those
    > implementations could have leveraged the mapping and topology management
    > of a VCMM, while focusing on a few key hardware specific functions (map
    > this physical address, program the page table base register).

    So if we include this code which "map implementations" could you
    collapse into this implementations ? Generally , what currently existing
    code can VCMM help to eliminate?

    Daniel

    --
    Sent by a consultant of the Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.

      Last update: 2010-07-02 00:09    [W:0.021 / U:29.352 seconds]