    SubjectRe: [RFC] Using "page credits" as a solution for common thrashing scenarios
    From
    Replying to a very old email :-)

    On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Andi Kleen <andi@firstfloor.org> wrote:
    > Eyal Lotem <eyal.lotem@gmail.com> writes:
    >
    > Replying to an old email.
    >
    >>   * I think it is wrong for the kernel to evict the 15 pages of the bash,
    >>     xterm, X server's working set, as an example, in order for a
    >>     misbehaving process to have 1000015 instead of 1000000 pages in its
    >>     working set. EVEN if that misbehaving process is accessing its working
    >>     set far more aggressively.
    >
    > One problem in practice tends to be that it's hard to realiably detect
    > that a process is misbehaving. The 1000000 page process might be your
    > critical database, while the 15 page process is something very
    > unimportant.

    Well, this solution doesn't really depend on any detection of
    "misbehaving", it just goes about a more accurate way of defining page
    importance. A simple solution to the problem you suggest is assigning
    far more "credits" to the database than to the 15-page process.

    Eyal