SubjectRe: Linux 2.6.35-rc2
From
On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 8:52 AM, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Alex Deucher <alexdeucher@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:22 AM, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The new mode probing code happens every 10 seconds, though we
>>> shouldn't be turning anything on or off with it.
>>>
>>> So I suspect the DAC detection table might be doing bad things on your
>>> hardware, we have had a problem where the dac detect table on one DAC
>>> would turn the other one off which clearly wasn't what we wanted to
>>> see.
>>> ,
>>
>> The x300 is a non-atom card, so it uses the legacy load detection
>> routines which do mess with some of the crtc regs.
>>

> Okay I see it now, I'm amazed that I was seeing this issue last week
> and blaming it on something complete different and only seeing it on
> one card.
>
> I expect its the same problem I'll try and track down a proper fix for
> it tomorrow.

It really seems to be this polling code.
After the fix to drivers/char/vt.c the 2.6.35-rc2 kernel now works for
me without crashing.

I also changed #define DRM_OUTPUT_POLL_PERIOD (10*HZ) to
#define DRM_OUTPUT_POLL_PERIOD (3*HZ) and now the flickering before X
starts is at a three second interval. That should prove, that the
polling from drm_crtc_helper.c is the cause.

After X starts the LCD is stable, but the secondary CRT still flickers
every 3 seconds.

My hardware is an X300-PCIe card with a VGA-, a DVI-I- and a video output.
I have a 1280x1024 LCD attached to the DVI-I and an old CRT to the
VGA. The video output is unused.
The CRT is normally switched off, but its still detected correctly.

The kernel output from 2.6.34 and 2.6.35-rc2 is here:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/6/6/126

xrandr says:
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 2080 x 1024, maximum 4096 x 4096
DVI-0 connected 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 338mm x 270mm
1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
1280x960 60.0
1152x864 75.0
1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 72.8 75.0 66.7 60.0
720x400 70.1
640x400 70.0
VGA-0 connected 800x600+1280+150 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 280mm x 210mm
800x600 72.2*+ 75.0 60.3 56.2
1280x1024 60.0
1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
640x480 72.8 75.0 60.0
720x400 87.8 70.1
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

If you have something for me to try, just send it. :-)

Torsten

  Last update: 2010-06-07 19:31    [W:1.829 / U:0.020 seconds]