    SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] No mixers on ATI RS780 Azalia
    On Thursday 2010-05-27 14:34, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
    >Clemens Ladisch wrote:
    >> Please do not assume that the "HDMI" device is the right one, since you
    >> never got either one to work in Linux.
    >Hmm, that computer is separate from the actual LCD, which has an HDMI
    >input, so it's possible that the HDMI output would be correct.
    >In that case, it's likely that you've run into this bug:
    >You might try the patch mentioned there, or radeonhd, or fglrx.

    Cc'ing drm.

    I conclude further tests.

    * Linux 2.6.35-rc2
    - fbcon:radeondrmfb using "modprobe radeon modeset=1"
    - sound ok
    - Xorg (7.4) with 'radeonhd'
    - fbcon ok, no sound in Xorg - I figure radeonhd is obsolete
    - Xorg with 'radeon'
    - fbcon ok, xorg ok.
    There is a small breakdown when switching between fbcon and xorg

    * Linux
    - like 2.6.35-rc2, but had a bug that prevented radeon.ko to go into
    graphics mode when initially loaded; workaround: modprobe fglrx;
    rmmod fglrx; modprobe radeon modeset=1
    - or fglrx, also makes sound work

    - fglrx bug aside: switching from Xorg to console (either 80x25 or
    radeondrmfb) makes a fugly "pop" noise, and if the target is
    radeomdrmfb, display is garbled.

    So I'm happy.
    Conclusive questions however:

    * Why is it that I am only allowed to have sound in graphics mode?

    * The radeon.ko module does not have any PCI IDs defined, thus does not
    get autoloaded like i915.ko. Is this intentional? It also seems
    to default to modeset=0.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-07 14:51    [W:0.019 / U:7.756 seconds]