SubjectRe: [patch 1/4] fs: cleanup files_lock
On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:43:08PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
> Lock tty_files with a new spinlock, tty_files_lock; provide helpers to
> manipulate the per-sb files list; unexport the files_lock spinlock.

I'm still not entirely happy with this. You keep making the tty a
special case by removing it from the files per-sb files list while
nothing else in the system is removed from it.

Thinks would be much better if you could untangle the tty code from
abuse of file->f_u.fu_list entirely. And from a naive look at the
tty code that actually seems pretty easy. file->private for ttys
currently directly points to the tty struct. If you add a tty_private
there which points back to the file, the tty and contains a list_head
the open files in tty code tracking code can be completely divorced
from the per-sb file tracking. After that we can decide what to do
with the per-sb file tracking, where my favourite still is to get
rid of it entirely.

  Last update: 2010-06-04 10:41    [W:0.121 / U:0.580 seconds]