SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files
From
On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 03:02, Benjamin Herrenschmidt
<benh@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 19:13 +0100, Russell King wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:46:23PM +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote:
>> > Compiling in multiple ARM platforms is trickier, we would have to get
>> > rid of the duplicate defines like NR_IRQS, then have some common clock
>> > framework etc. Then figure out some way to get rid of Makefile.boot.
>> > Russell probably has some other things in mind that would have to be
>> > changed to make this happen.
>
> Ok so multiple platforms in one kernel is a different subject and could

Supporting multiple platforms matters a lot to keep everything (not
just defconfigs)
under control.

Technically, on m68k we only need two defconfigs: sun3_defconfig (Sun 3 doesn't
use a Motorola MMU) and multi_defconfig (which is the logical OR of
all the other
defconfigs, and which should work on all non-Sun 3).

The reason we have the others is to ease building of platform-specific
kernels that
need less memory. I guess most of them can be (almost) regenerated from
multi_defconfig just by disabling support for the other platforms.

> warrant a different thread. However it's interesting because we do that
> quite well on powerpc :-)

So you could easily have one big common defconfig...

Gr{oetje,eeting}s,

Geert

-- Linus Torvalds

  Last update: 2010-06-04 08:33    [W:0.120 / U:0.068 seconds]