    SubjectRe: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write

    Nick,

    >> Filesystems will inevitably have to be integrity-aware for that to
    >> work. And it will be their job to keep the data pages stable during
    >> DMA.

    Nick> Closing the while it is dirty, while it is being written back
    Nick> window still leaves a pretty big window. Also, how do you handle
    Nick> mmap writes? Write protect and checksum the destination page
    Nick> after every store? Or leave some window between when the pagecache
    Nick> is dirtied and when it is written back? So I don't know whether
    Nick> it's worth putting a lot of effort into this case.

    I'm mostly interested in the cases where the filesystem acts as a
    conduit for integrity metadata from user space.

    I agree the corruption windows inside the kernel are only of moderate
    interest. No filesystems have added support for explicitly protecting a
    bio because the block layer's function to do so automatically is just a
    few function calls away.

    --
    Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering

      Last update: 2010-06-04 03:33    [W:0.023 / U:63.880 seconds]