    SubjectRe: ARM defconfig files
    On Fri, 4 Jun 2010, Tony Lindgren wrote:

    > * Russell King <> [100603 21:07]:
    > > On Thu, Jun 03, 2010 at 07:46:23PM +0300, Tony Lindgren wrote:
    > > > Compiling in multiple ARM platforms is trickier, we would have to get
    > > > rid of the duplicate defines like NR_IRQS, then have some common clock
    > > > framework etc. Then figure out some way to get rid of Makefile.boot.
    > > > Russell probably has some other things in mind that would have to be
    > > > changed to make this happen.
    > >
    > > - Find someway to handle the wide variety of interrupt controllers.

    Eric Miao posted a patch series for that already.

    > > - Be able to handle any multitude of V:P translations, including non-linear
    > > alongside linear transations.

    Some effort is being deployed at my $job to do that. Initially only the
    linear translation will be supported, which should cover the vast
    majority of the cases already. The odd targets will simply require a
    build of their own like it is done today.

    > > - Different PAGE_OFFSETs

    Again, a majority of targets may simply share the default one.

    > > - Different kernel VM layouts allowing for a variety of different ioremap
    > > region sizes

    VMALLOC_END should only need to become a per machine class variable
    initialized at run time.

    > Some of these could be handled by allowing building a seprate instance
    > for each platform compiled in. Maybe we could set them up with symlinks.

    We already have runtime selectable machine instances. Building multiple
    machine class could extend on that.

    > How about a minimal generic relocatable ARM kernel and then we load the
    > platform support as a module from ramdisk? :)

    Pity... Nah.

    > > and so the list goes on...
    > Yeah..

    Like I said, there is an effort to gradually overcome those issues one
    by one.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-04 00:47    [W:0.023 / U:124.700 seconds]