SubjectRe: futex: race in lock and unlock&exit for robust futex with PI?
On 06/25/2010 01:27 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Thu 24-06-10 19:42:50, Darren Hart wrote:
>> On 06/23/2010 02:13 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
>>> Hi,
>
> Hi,
>

>> Hi Michal,
>>
>> Thanks for reporting the issue and providing a testcase.
>>

>>> attached you can find a simple test case which fails quite easily on the
>>> following glibc assert:
>>> "SharedMutexTest: pthread_mutex_lock.c:289: __pthread_mutex_lock:
>>> Assertion `(-(e)) != 3 || !robust' failed." "
>>
>> I've run runSimple.sh in a tight loop for a couple hours (about 2k
>> iterations so far) and haven't seen anything other than "Here we go"
>> printed to the console.
>
> Maybe a higher load on CPUs would help (busy loop on other CPUs).

Must have been a build issue. I can reproduce _something_ now. Within 10
iterations of runSimple.sh the test hangs. ps shows all the simple
processes sitting in pause.

(gdb) bt
#0 0x0000003c0060e030 in __pause_nocancel () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#1 0x0000003c006085fc in __pthread_mutex_lock_full ()
from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
#2 0x0000000000400cd6 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fffc016e508) at simple.c:101

There is only one call to pause* in pthread_mutex_lock.c: (line ~316):

/* ESRCH can happen only for non-robust PI mutexes where
the owner of the lock died. */
assert (INTERNAL_SYSCALL_ERRNO (e, __err) != ESRCH || !robust);

/* Delay the thread indefinitely. */
while (1)
pause_not_cancel ();

Right now I'm thinking that NDEBUG is set in my build for whatever
reason, but I think I'm seeing the same issue you are. I'll review the
futex code and prepare a trace patch and see if I can reproduce with that.

Note: confirmed, the glibc rpm has -DNDEBUG=1

--
Darren

--
Darren Hart
IBM Linux Technology Center
Real-Time Linux Team

  Last update: 2010-06-25 19:57    [W:1.142 / U:0.156 seconds]