    > Typically, one would push a config patch to enable and disable the feature and
    > patch the distribution. However, in some cases this is not feasible in order

    If you can push a patch to set the flag you can push a patch to panic or
    reject that combination.

    Devil's advocate time:

    Also the fact some distributions chose a binary compatible interface for
    their internal modules was their choice. It is one that has been
    repeatedly rejected by upstream and at kernel summit.

    So given we fundamnetally reject your approach why should we carry your
    flag ?

    > In some cases the distribution may want to allow booting of these features but
    > explicitly notify a user that they are not "officially" supported. It is also

    We have printk. You can add a module of your own which indicates
    'support' status too.

    > possible that the hardware is fixed via a firmware update at a later date,
    > making it supported again.

    IMHO it's not properly named in the first place. You are talking about
    combinations of hardware/firmware and you actually mean 'configuration
    not supported' ?

    > This patch introduces the TAINT_HARDWARE_UNSUPPORTED flag for distributions
    > to use.

    and why KERN_CRIT when the other printk's don't use that level ?

    A suggestion: instead of all this push a single patch with a comment and
    maybe defines indicating that taint flag bits 28-31 are 'reserved' for
    experimental and out of tree applications.

    That way anyone who has a requirement like yours can deal with it and
    nobody has to worry about bit collisions, naming and the like. Nor if you
    suddenely need an extra bit in 3 years time are you going to come unstuck
    on your KABI. That will help other people doing experiments with taint or
    with differing needs to the Red Hat one.

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-19 11:29    [W:0.021 / U:189.632 seconds]