    SubjectRe: Overview of concurrency managed workqueue
    On Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:16:15 +0200 Tejun Heo <tj@kernel.org> wrote:

    > On 06/18/2010 01:16 AM, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 08:01:06 -0400
    > > Andy Walls <awalls@md.metrocast.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I'm going to agree with Tejun, that tweaking worker thread priorities
    > >> seems like an odd thing, since they are meant to handle deferable
    > >> actions - things that can be put off until later.
    > >
    > > Disagree. If you're in an interrupt handler and have some work which
    > > you want done in process context and you want it done RIGHT NOW then
    > > handing that work off to a realtime-policy worker thread is a fine way of
    > > doing that.
    >
    > In that case, the right thing to do would be using threaded interrupt
    > handler. It's not only easier but also provide enough context such
    > that RT kernel can do the right thing.

    Nope. Consider a simple byte-at-a-time rx handler. The ISR grabs the
    byte, stashes it away, bangs on the hardware a bit then signals
    userspace to promptly start processing that byte. Very simple,
    legitimate and a valid thing to do.

    Also the "interrupt" code might be running from a timer handler. Or it
    might just be in process context, buried in a forest of locks and wants
    to punt further processing into a separate process.

      Last update: 2010-06-18 09:35    [W:4.194 / U:0.160 seconds]