    SubjectRe: [linux-pm] RFC: /sys/power/policy_preference

    > On Jun 16, 2010, at 4:05 PM, Len Brown <lenb@kernel.org> wrote:
    >
    > > Create /sys/power/policy_preference, giving user-space
    > > the ability to express its preference for kernel based
    > > power vs. performance decisions in a single place.
    > >
    > > This gives kernel sub-systems and drivers a central place
    > > to discover this system-wide policy preference.
    > > It also allows user-space to not have to be updated
    > > every time a sub-system or driver adds a new power/perf knob.
    >
    > I would prefer documenting all the current knobs and adding them to pm-utils
    > so that pm-powersave knows about and can manage them. Once that is done,
    > creating arbitrary powersave levels should be fairly simple.

    The idea here is to not require user-space to need updating
    whenever a future knob is invented. We can do a great job
    at documenting the past, but a poor job of documenting the future:-)

    cheers,
    Len Brown, Intel Open Source Technolgy Center

    ©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans