    SubjectRe: "ignoring host bridge windows from ACPI" in a recent laptop

    On Die, 2010-06-15 at 07:27 -0600, Bjorn Helgaas wrote:
    > On Tuesday, June 15, 2010 05:18:23 am Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:
    > > I have a Sony Vaio VPCF11M1E since early this year. Looking through the
    > > output of `dmesg`, I noticed
    > > ---- snip ----
    > > pci_root PNP0A08:00: ignoring host bridge windows from ACPI; boot with "pci=use_crs" to use them
    > > ---- snip ----
    > > So I tried that.
    > > The laptop boots and works without problems so far. I attached a diff of
    > > the first approx. 630 lines of the `dmesg` outputs without and with the
    > > above parameter. It gets pretty messy afterwards because (at least) the
    > > USB and/or SATA initialization runs apparently in parallel.
    > >
    > > After finding, it seems that we might
    > > need another quirk to activate that automatically.
    > >
    > > At the end, I lost also dozens of
    > > ---- snip ----
    > > name_count maxed, losing inode data: dev=00:07, inode=
    > > ---- snip ----
    > > lines (which are also not in the attached diff). I don't know if that
    > > has something to do with the above.
    > Until the patch you mentioned above, Linux silently ignored window
    > information from ACPI. On your machine, the only effect of the
    > patch was to print the new line you mentioned, which was only intended
    > as a hint that "if PCI devices don't work correctly, here's something
    > we can try."
    > If your devices *are* working correctly, you can just ignore the hint.

    The not really correctly working device (so far) is the graphics card
    ---- snip ----
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT216 [GeForce GT 330M] (rev a2)
    ---- snip ----
    as I get only some standard VESA resolution (800x600 or so - but there
    is a full-hd-screen on it) with X.
    I'm in the process of playing around with that ("nv vs nouveau driver"
    or "is it a system-config-display issue") and writing something in the
    Fedora-12 bugzilla eventually - if only to see where the real problem

    > You mention the "name_count maxed" messages, and I think you meant
    > they go away when you use "pci=use_crs". I don't see how that would

    > be connected, since that's from syscall auditing code that is several
    > layers removed from PCI device resource management.

    I (also) thought similar - I also just googled for the line (and didn't
    find anything useful, probably not enough googled) and just wondered why
    it was gone.
    So I take is as "not related".

    Thanks for the quick answer BTW,
    mobile: +43 664 4416156
    Linux Software Development, Consulting and Services

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-15 15:47    [W:0.023 / U:12.856 seconds]