    SubjectRe: sequence lock in Linux
    On 06/11/2010 01:36 PM, Paul E. McKenney wrote:

    > The reason that the C standard permits this is to allow for things like
    > 8-bit CPUs, which are simply unable to load or store 32-bit quantities
    > except by doing it chunkwise. But I don't expect the Linux kernel to
    > boot on these, and certainly not on any of the ones that I have used!
    >
    > I most definitely remember seeing a gcc guarantee that loads and stores
    > would be done in one instruction whenever the hardware supported this,
    > but I am not finding it today. :-(

    What gcc does not -- and should not -- guarantee is that accessing a
    non-volatile member is done exactly once. As Mathieu pointed out, it
    can choose to drop it due to register pressure and load it again.

    What is possibly a much bigger risk -- since this is an inline -- is
    that the value is cached from a previous piece of code, *or* that since
    the structure is const(!) that the second read in the repeat loop is
    elided. Presumably current versions of gcc don't do that across a
    memory clobber, but that doesn't seem entirely out of the question.

    -hpa

      Last update: 2010-06-11 23:09    [W:0.020 / U:0.884 seconds]