    SubjectRe: [linux-pm] suspend blockers & Android integration
    On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

    > Moreover, having thought a bit more about the "power manager in user space"
    > concept I'm not sure if it really is that better than the original wakelocks
    > idea. Namely, it only repaces a kernel-based mechanism with a user space
    > task doing basically the same thing, but the communication between that task
    > and the other cooperating user space tasks is arguably more complicated (it
    > also uses the kernel resources, although indirectly).

    That is all true. The "power manager in userspace" was meant to prove
    a point: that this _could_ be done without invasive changes to the
    kernel. It wasn't necessarily meant to be a _better_ solution.

    > So, for a phone-like system, where you'd generally want to simplify user space,
    > having a "power manager" in the kernel seems to make sense to me.

    This is a judgment call. Obviously different people have different

    Alan Stern

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-06-10 16:49    [W:0.020 / U:10.224 seconds]