SubjectRe: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write
On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:47 -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

> > > We might not ever repeat the IO. We might change the page, write it,
> > > change it again, truncate the file and toss the page completely.
> >
> > Why does it matter that it was never written in that case?
>
> It matters is the storage layer is going to wait around for the block to
> be written again with a correct crc.

Actually, I wasn't advocating that. I think block should return a guard
mismatch error. I think somewhere in filesystem writeout is the place
to decide whether the error was self induced or systematic. For self
induced errors (as long as we can detect them) I think we can just
forget about it ... if the changed page is important, the I/O request
gets repeated (modulo the problem of too great a frequency of changes
leading to us never successfully writing it) or it gets dropped because
the file was truncated or the data deleted for some other reason.

James

  Last update: 2010-06-01 18:57    [W:0.101 / U:0.424 seconds]