    SubjectRe: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write
    On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 12:47 -0400, Chris Mason wrote:

    > > > We might not ever repeat the IO. We might change the page, write it,
    > > > change it again, truncate the file and toss the page completely.
    > >
    > > Why does it matter that it was never written in that case?
    >
    > It matters is the storage layer is going to wait around for the block to
    > be written again with a correct crc.

    Actually, I wasn't advocating that. I think block should return a guard
    mismatch error. I think somewhere in filesystem writeout is the place
    to decide whether the error was self induced or systematic. For self
    induced errors (as long as we can detect them) I think we can just
    forget about it ... if the changed page is important, the I/O request
    gets repeated (modulo the problem of too great a frequency of changes
    leading to us never successfully writing it) or it gets dropped because
    the file was truncated or the data deleted for some other reason.

    James

      Last update: 2010-06-01 18:57    [W:0.022 / U:89.288 seconds]