SubjectRe: Wrong DIF guard tag on ext2 write

James> Would it be too much work in the fs to mark the page dirty before
James> you begin altering it (and again after you finish, just in case
James> some cleaner noticed and initiated a write)? Or some other flag
James> that indicates page under modification? All the process
James> controlling the writeout (which is pretty high up in the stack)
James> needs to know is if we triggered the check error by altering the
James> page while it was in flight.

James> I agree that a block based retry would close all the holes ... it
James> just doesn't look elegant to me that the fs will already be
James> repeating the I/O if it changed the page and so will block.

I experimented with this approach a while back. However, I quickly got
into a situation where frequently updated blocks never made it to disk
because the page was constantly being updated. And all writes failed
with a guard tag error.

--
Martin K. Petersen Oracle Linux Engineering

  Last update: 2010-06-01 15:55    [W:0.159 / U:0.396 seconds]