    SubjectRe: [Fwd: Re: RFC for a new Scheduling policy/class in the Linux-kernel]
    Sorry for the complaint about the lklm.org reference.
    Somehow, the "2/28/107" portion of the URL got cut off when
    I pasted it into my browser. :-}

    However, the rest of my comments still apply.

    --Ted

    On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:41:22PM +0200, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
    > Hi Ted,
    >
    > On Mon, 2010-04-26 at 07:56 -0400, Ted Baker wrote:
    > > I have not seen any more e-mail on this. How is it going? Is there any
    > > chance of rolling in some corrections for the SCHED_SPORADIC treatment? In
    > > particular, could we have a DO_NOT_RUN priority, that is guaranteed to
    > > prevent a task from running at all?
    >
    > Without having fully read the referenced paper, we're currently looking
    > to support the sporadic task model through SCHED_DEADLINE (by our SSSUP
    > friends):
    >
    > http://lkml.org/lkml/2010/2/28/107
    >
    > This work aims to implement a full sporadic task scheduler [initially
    > (g)EDF], SCHED_SPORADIC would have been a better name, but since POSIX
    > stole that from us we took SCHED_DEADLINE to indicate its a deadline
    > scheduler.
    >
    > Along with this work comes the full Deadline-inheritance (which should
    > be but a small change from our current Priority-inheritance code), and
    > also Bandwidth-inheritance (more work). Esp. the latter would also be
    > required for your proposed SCHED_SPORADIC since it does aim to be a
    > 'strict' bandwidth enforcing scheduler.
    >
    > [Does the proposed 'fixed' SCHED_SPORADIC deal with admission control?]
    >
    > But as it stands, this work would provide much more complete sporadic
    > task support than the fixed SCHED_SPORADIC would.
    >

    > --
    > believed to be clean.

      Last update: 2010-05-03 18:15    [W:0.028 / U:28.976 seconds]