SubjectRe: [RFC] oom-kill: give the dying task a higher priority
* MinChan Kim <minchan.kim@gmail.com> [2010-05-28 23:06:23]:

> > I confess I failed to distinguish memcg OOM and system OOM and used "in
> > case of OOM kill the selected task the faster you can" as the guideline.
> > If the exit code path is short that shouldn't be a problem.
> >
> > Maybe the right way to go would be giving the dying task the biggest
> > priority inside that memcg to be sure that it will be the next process from
> > that memcg to be scheduled. Would that be reasonable?
>
> Hmm. I can't understand your point.
> What do you mean failing distinguish memcg and system OOM?
>
> We already have been distinguish it by mem_cgroup_out_of_memory.
> (but we have to enable CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTLR).
> So task selected in select_bad_process is one out of memcg's tasks when
> memcg have a memory pressure.

We have a routine to help figure out if the task belongs to the memory
cgroup that cause the OOM. The OOM entry from memory cgroup is
different from a regular one.
--
Three Cheers,
Balbir