    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] Btrfs updates

    On Thu, 27 May 2010, Chris Mason wrote:
    > # git diff v2.6.34 HEAD | diffstat

    That still has the potential to be wrong (but got the numbers I expected
    this time). It will be wrong in several cases:

    - "diffstat" has some random common prefix removal logic that I've never
    figured out the exact rules for.

    You don't happen to see it, because you actually had changes outside of
    fs/btrfs (so there was no common prefix to worry about), but if
    everything had been inside fs/btrfs, then at least some versions of
    diffstat will just remove that whole thing as common, and talk about
    changes to 'ioctl.c' rather than 'fs/btrfs/ioctl.c'

    (And no, I'm not entirely sure what triggers it. It might only happen
    for certain patterns and/or certain versions of diffstat, but it's a
    reason to avoid diffstat in general, or at least use "-p1" to make it

    - it will do the wrong thing for renames and copies.

    - it doesn't give the summary that pull-request does, which talks about
    new, deleted and file-mode-changed files.

    So just do

    git diff --stat --summary -M v2.6.34..HEAD

    instead, which gets all the above cases right. Also, you don't even need
    to remember where you started - you might as well use git to do that too,
    and write it as (assuming you have an 'origin' branch that points to the
    upstream tree):

    git diff --stat --summary -M origin...HEAD

    (note the *three* dots: that says that you should diff against the common
    ancestor, so git will just figure out where you started on its own).

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-05-27 19:53    [W:0.023 / U:7.100 seconds]