    Subjectpage_mkwrite vs pte dirty race in fb_defio

    I couldn't find where this patch (49bbd815fd8) was discussed, so I'll
    make my own thread. Adding a few lists to cc because it might be of
    interest to driver and filesystem writers.

    The old ->page_mkwrite calling convention was causing problems exactly
    because of this race, and we solved it by allowing page_mkwrite to
    return with the page locked, and the lock will be held until the
    pte is marked dirty. See commit b827e496c893de0c0f142abfaeb8730a2fd6b37f.

    I hope that should provide a more elegant solution to your problem. I
    would really like you to take a look at that, because we already have
    filesystem code (NFS) relying on it, and more code we have relying on
    this synchronization, the more chance we would find a subtle problem
    with it (also it should be just nicer).

     \ /
      Last update: 2010-05-25 18:05    [W:0.028 / U:30.752 seconds]