    SubjectRe: [RFC V2 SLEB 00/14] The Enhanced(hopefully) Slab Allocator
    From
    Hi Nick,

    On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 1:19 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@suse.de> wrote:
    >> Like I said, as a maintainer I'm happy to merge patches to modernize
    >> SLAB
    >
    > I think that would be most productive at this point. I will volunteer
    > to do it.

    OK, great!

    > As much as I would like to see SLQB be merged :) I think the best
    > option is to go with SLAB because it is very well tested and very
    > very well performing.

    I would have liked to see SLQB merged as well but it just didn't happen.

    > If Christoph or you or I or anyone have genuine improvements to make
    > to the core algorithms, then the best thing to do will just be do
    > make incremental changes to SLAB.

    I don't see the problem in improving SLUB even if we start modernizing
    SLAB. Do you? I'm obviously biased towards SLUB still for the reasons
    I already mentioned. I don't want to be a blocker for progress so if I
    turn out to be a problem, we should consider changing the
    maintainer(s). ;-)

    > There are several aspects to this. I think the first one will be to
    > actually modernize the code style, simplify the bootstrap process and
    > static memory allocations (SLQB goes even further than SLUB in this
    > regard), and to pull in debug features from SLUB.
    >
    > These steps should be made without any changes to core algorithms.
    > Alien caches can easily be disabled and at present they are really
    > only a problem for big Altixes where it is a known parameter to tune.
    >
    > From that point, I think we should concede that SLUB has not fulfilled
    > performance promises, and make SLAB the default.

    Sure. I don't care which allocator "wins" if we actually are able to get there.

    Pekka

      Last update: 2010-05-25 12:47    [W:0.029 / U:31.044 seconds]