    SubjectRe: [RFD] Future tracing/instrumentation directions
    On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 01:07:57PM +0200, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 May 2010, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:
    > > On Thu, May 20, 2010 at 11:31:31AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
    > > > - [ While it's still a long way off, if this trend continues
    > > > we eventually might even be able to get rid of the
    > > > /debug/tracing/ temporary debug API and get rid of
    > > > the ugly in-kernel pretty-printing bits. This is
    > > > good: it may make Andrew very happy for a change ;-)
    > > >
    > > > The main detail here to be careful of is that lots of
    > > > people are fond of the simplicity of the
    > > > /debug/tracing/ debug UI, so when we replace it we
    > > > want to do it by keeping that simple workflow (or
    > > > best by making it even simpler). I have a few ideas
    > > > how to do this.
    > >
    > > How? We can emulate the /debug/tracing result with something
    > > like perf trace, still that won't replace the immediate
    > > availability of the result of any trace, which makes it
    > > valuable for any simplest workflows.
    >
    > I'm a bit torn about this. I really like the availability of the ascii
    > interface, but if we can come up with a very basic trace binary tool
    > which can be built for deep embedded w/o requiring the world and some
    > more libs to be available, then I might give up my resistance. Ideally
    > it should be done so it can be easily integrated into busybox.
    >
    > I don't care whether I do
    >
    > echo 1 >/debug/..../XXX/enable
    > cat /debug/tracing/trace
    >
    > or
    >
    > perfmini trace enable XXX
    > perfmini trace dump
    >
    > as long as the tool is built in a way that it does not need updates
    > when we add trace points or other functionality to the kernel.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > tglx

    You have a (much) deeper experience than me about the embedded world.
    And this was the area I worried most about, especially because dropping
    the preformatted output means we add a random dependency.

    If you think people can be fine a minimal tool that does this, then ok,
    as far as the given tool is really easy to get and to build.

      Last update: 2010-05-20 14:17    [W:0.024 / U:29.260 seconds]