SubjectRe: [Patch 1/1] x86 pci: Add option to not assign BAR's if not already assigned
On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:59:11 -0700
Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:

> Jesse Barnes wrote:
> > On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:34:01 -0700
> > Mike Travis <travis@sgi.com> wrote:

> >> We have customers that want to install more than 16 PCI-e cards right
> >> now. Our window of opportunity closes very soon (days), so either this
> >> patch makes it in as is (or something close), or we wait for another
> >> release cycle. UV shipments start this month.
> >>
> >> [I wouldn't mind working on an improvement for later.]
> >
> > Wow and they're using cards that want to use I/O space? Funky. It's
> > too late to get this into 2.6.34, but that can't be what you were
> > expecting... I don't see a problem with getting something like this in
> > for 2.6.35.
>
> 2.6.35 would be fine. It's the acceptance that's the key.
>
> And yes, we're using standard cards like everyone else... ;-)
>
> [The message is "UV" is just a really, really big PC. ;-)]
>
> I would appreciate however, some more detail on what's the goal of the
> updates to "fix both". Thanks!

As Bjorn noted, both the norom and nobar options are listed as x86
specific in the documentation and use x86 specific flags and code to
prevent their respective allocations.

It would be good if we could move the flags and code to the common PCI
layer in drivers/pci so that other arches could take advantage of it,
and we could have less resource management fragmentation.

  Last update: 2010-05-15 01:11    [W:0.073 / U:0.088 seconds]