SubjectRe: [git pull] Input updates for 2.6.34-rc6
On Fri, 14 May 2010, david@lang.hm wrote:

> On Fri, 14 May 2010, Matthew Garrett wrote:
>
>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 11:47:43AM -0700, david@lang.hm wrote:
>>
>>> yes, everything has USB ports, so they could use USB keyboards, but it's
>>> actually pretty common to still use PS/2 keyboards (and while the systems
>>> all support USB, it's not uncommon to have KVM systems, including pretty
>>> expensive 'enterprise' KVM systems that still require PS/2 keyboards be
>>> used to plug into the KVM, so those are the keyboards that are in the
>>> datacenter that someone will grab to plug into a problem machine)
>>
>> The server hardware I've looked at will all declare the ports regardless
>> of whether or not there's something plugged in.
>
> remember that many people use systems in datacenters that are not 'server
> hardware'.
>
> when a desktop PC can have 4-6 cores with 8G+ of ram and a couple TB of
> storage, a lot of people will end up using those systems for production.
>
> As they grow into bigger companies they will shift to 'server class'
> hardware, but startups tend to use whatever they can scrounge (or buy
> _really_ cheap)

By the way, for what it's worth I think it's a very bad idea to hot-plug
PS/2 keyboards. The hardware may be better nowadays, but back when I was a
PC repair tech I made very good money replacing the fuses on motherboards
that would blow because someone hot-plugged the keyboard.

That said, there are times when it happens, and many people don't see any
problem with it.

David Lang

  Last update: 2010-05-14 21:07    [W:0.054 / U:0.880 seconds]