SubjectRe: [alsa-devel] USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems
From
On Tue, 11 May 2010 11:04:55 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Stern <stern@rowland.harvard.edu> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 May 2010, FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

> > > Is that address (urb->transfer_dma) the same as 'virt_to_phys(urb->transfer_buffer)'
> > > (if not, then SWIOTLB is being utilized) and is the dma_sync_* done on the
> > > urb->transfer_dma (to properly sync the data from the SWIOTLB to the
> > > transfer_buffer) before you start using the urb->transfer_buffer?
> >
> > Or calling dma_unmap_single.
> >
> > Can you tell me all the exact process of DMA that the usb core and the
> > driver do?
>
> 1. The audio driver stores data in urb->transfer_buffer.

How urb->transfer_buffer is allocated?

> 2. The audio driver calls usb_submit_urb(urb).
>
> 3. The USB core does
> urb->transfer_dma = dma_map_single(controller,
> urb->transfer_buffer,
> urb->transfer_buffer_length,
> DMA_TO_DEVICE);

The mapping error is checked via dma_mapping_error? Even if an mapping
error happens, no data corruption happens due to that (needs
something like retrying the request)?

> 4. The host controller driver tells the hardware to carry out the data
> transfer.
>
> 5. When the hardware says the transfer is finished, the USB core does
> dma_unmap_single(controller,
> urb->transfer_dma,
> urb->transfer_buffer_length,
> DMA_TO_DEVICE);
>
> 6. The audio driver's completion handler is called:
> (urb->complete)(urb);

The driver does only DMA_TO_DEVICE? Or you see DMA problems only with
DMA_TO_DEVICE?

  Last update: 2010-05-12 11:27    [W:0.567 / U:0.172 seconds]