    SubjectRe: virtio: put last_used and last_avail index into ring itself.
    Date
    On Sun, 9 May 2010 06:27:33 pm Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
    > On Fri, May 07, 2010 at 12:35:39PM +0930, Rusty Russell wrote:
    > > Then there's padding to page boundary. That puts us on a cacheline again
    > > for the used ring; also 2 bytes per entry.
    > >

    > Hmm, is used ring really 2 bytes per entry?

    Err, no, I am an idiot.

    > /* u32 is used here for ids for padding reasons. */
    > struct vring_used_elem {
    > /* Index of start of used descriptor chain. */
    > __u32 id;
    > /* Total length of the descriptor chain which was used (written to) */
    > __u32 len;
    > };
    >
    > struct vring_used {
    > __u16 flags;
    > __u16 idx;
    > struct vring_used_elem ring[];
    > };

    OK, now I get it. Sorry, I was focussed on the avail ring.

    > I thought that used ring has 8 bytes per entry, and that struct
    > vring_used is aligned at page boundary, this
    > would mean that ring element is at offset 4 bytes from page boundary.
    > Thus with cacheline size 128 bytes, each 4th element crosses
    > a cacheline boundary. If we had a 4 byte padding after idx, each
    > used element would always be completely within a single cacheline.

    I think the numbers are: every 16th entry hits two cachelines. So currently
    the first 15 entries are "free" (assuming we hit the idx cacheline anyway),
    then 1 in 16 cost 2 cachelines. That makes the aligned version win when
    N > 240.

    But, we access the array linearly. So the extra cacheline cost is in fact
    amortized. I doubt it could be measured, but maybe vring_get_buf() should
    prefetch? While you're there, we could use an & rather than a mod on the
    calculation, which may actually be measurable :)

    Cheers,
    Rusty.

      Last update: 2010-05-10 10:57    [W:0.025 / U:29.584 seconds]