Subjecthrtimer: about hres_active
Date
Hi

I am trying to understand the purpose of "hres_active" of hrtimer
and have the following question in this regard.

It seems "hres_active" indicates whether high resolution mode is
active or not. But I am not clear about the idea behind it.

I see that hres_active is initialized to 0 here:
hrtimer_init_hres

and set to 1 here:
hrtimer_run_pending
-> hrtimer_switch_to_hres

That means hrtimer becomes "active" at the 1st timer softirq
and remains so forever. Is this understanding correct?

My original concern is as follows:

hrtimer_get_next_event returns KTIME_MAX when hrtimer is "active".
So if the above understanding is correct, then after the 1st timer
softirq it will always return KTIME_MAX. This means cpu_idle will never
take the hrtimer event into account and will always base its decision
on the next event of the timer wheel. Is this intended behaviour?

I would highly appreciate any information about this.
Please CC me because I am not a member of this ML.

Best regards
Iram

  Last update: 2010-05-10 12:29    [W:0.090 / U:0.992 seconds]