SubjectRe: USB transfer_buffer allocations on 64bit systems
Date
Am Freitag, 9. April 2010 00:20:36 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > > That would work, but it doesn't match the way existing drivers use the
> > > interface. For example, the audio driver allocates a 16-byte coherent
> > > buffer and then uses four bytes from it for each of four different
> > > URBs.
> >
> > That will not work with any fallback that does not yield a coherent buffer.
>
> What you mean isn't entirely clear. But it certainly does work in
> various circumstances that don't yield coherent buffers. For example,
> it works if the controller uses PIO instead of DMA. It also works if
> the controller uses DMA and the URBs have to be bounced.

It'll work on x86. On incoherent architectures this violates the cacheline
rules for DMA-mapping if you have to bounce. So it seems to me that
if you want to share a buffer between URBs, it must be coherent.

Regards
Oliver

  Last update: 2010-04-09 08:07    [W:1.435 / U:0.264 seconds]