SubjectRe: 2.6.33: libata issues with VIA SATA/PATA controller
On 04/08/2010 08:43 PM, Jonathan Woithe wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a machine equipped with the following SATA/PATA controllers:
>
> * 00:0f.1 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/
> VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
>
> * 00:0f.0 RAID bus controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VIA VT6420 SATA RAID
> Controller (rev 80)
>
> Two hard drives are attached to the SATA controller (messages from 2.6.24.2):
>
> scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA WDC WD2502ABYS-0 02.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
> scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access ATA WDC WD2502ABYS-0 02.0 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
>
> Both drives are jumpered to force 1.5 Gbps SATA speed. This is needed
> because these WD drives won't automatically fall back to 1.5 Gbps if 3.0
> Gbps isn't requested, and the VIA controller in use is only capable of
> 1.5 Gbps.
>
> The PATA interface has a tape drive attached as primary master and a CD
> writer attached as secondary master. Under 2.6.24.2 these show up as
>
> hda: SONY SDX-260V, ATAPI TAPE drive
> hdc: ATAPI 40X CD-ROM CD-R/RW drive, 2048kB Cache
>
> The problem I have is that I am unable to boot 2.6.33 (or 2.6.33.2). The
> interfaces are probed but it seems the system has trouble communicating
> reliably over the SATA links. Sometimes both drives are identified
> correctly, only to encounter I/O errors when the partition table is read.
> Other times failures occur during the drive detection phase. The problem
> persists even when both PATA devices have been unplugged, so the PATA
> devices themselves are not the cause. In all cases the end result is the
> same: the rootfs can't be found, the kernel panics.
>
> The 2.6.33.2 I have tried to boot today is configured to use libata VIA PATA
> support. The 2.6.24.2 kernel (which mostly works, except for some issues
> with ide-tape which might be hardware related) instead uses the old ide
> driver for the PATA interface. I have not yet been able to test whether
> disabling the VIA PATA component of libata works around the problem. The
> reason for enabling libata VIA PATA support is due to ongoing issues with
> ide-tape in recent kernels (I've tried from 2.6.29 on). The suggestion was
> made to try libata since its tape driver was in better shape.
>
> Unfortunately the machine in question is a production machine and I have
> limited opportunities to reboot and test kernels. I also didn't have a
> camera handy to take screen shots this morning during testing. The
> following are messages I noted by hand before they were scrolled away by the
> panic.
>
> ata1: lost interrupt status 0x50
> unhandled error code
> Result: hostbyte=0x00, driverbyte=0x06
> CDB: cdb[0] = 0x28 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x08 0x00
> end request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 0
>
> The same was repeated for ata2 / sdb.
>
> Another group of messages which crops up during drive detection is:
>
> qc timeout cmd 0x27
> failed to read native max address (error mask 0x4)
> [...]

(adding linux-ide to CC)

A complete dmesg is definitely useful. Posting one from the failing
kernel would be preferred, though. That will show us libata boot
messages as well as the failures you are seeing, in full detail.

Also, please try the latest 2.6.34-rc kernel, as that has several fixes
for both pata_via and sata_via which did not make 2.6.33.

Jeff

  Last update: 2010-04-09 06:29    [W:0.047 / U:0.244 seconds]