SubjectRe: lock's trace events can improve mutex's performance in userspace?
From
Sorry for the late reply...

One thing to consider in locking micro-benchmarks is that often, code
changes that slow down parts of the contended code path where the lock
is not held, will result in an increase of the reported
micro-benchmark metric. This effect is particularly marked for
micro-benchmarks that consist of multiple threads doing empty
acquire/release loops.

As a thought experiment, imagine what would happen if you added a
one-millisecond sleep in the contended code path for mutex
acquisition. Soon all but one of your benchmark threads would be
sleeping, and the only non-sleeping thread would be able to spin on
that lock/unlock loop with no contention, resulting in very nice
results for the micro-benchmark. Remove the sleep and the lock/unlock
threads will have to contend, resulting in lower reported performance
metrics.

I think what you're seeing with lockdep events is a smaller case of
this - enabling lockdep slows down the contended code path, but also
reduces the number of times that it is taken...

--
Michel "Walken" Lespinasse
A program is never fully debugged until the last user dies.