    SubjectRe: Can we remove the Zone_DMA?
    On Sunday 04 April 2010 12:21:54 am tek-life wrote:
    > I’m a newbie on the linux kernel. Now I am reading the source code of
    > Linux . I have a question in the following about ZONE_DMA.
    > In Linux , The Memory is divided to three zone. They are ZONE_DMA
    > 、ZONE_NORMAL and ZONE_HIGHMEM. From the book of "Undstand the Linux
    > kernel ", the ZONE_DMA has the effect that the Direct Memory Access
    > (DMA) processors for old ISA buses have a strong limitation: they are
    > able to address only the first 16 MB of RAM. SO ,we must set a zone
    > for the DMA on ISA bus. And I suspect that the hardware has
    > developed so quickly .And in this days the ISA has been weeded out.
    > And so ,if we not defined the ZONE_DMA, is the system be effected? And
    > why not remove ZONE_DMA from the kernel . If it cann‘t to do so,the
    > compatibility is the only reason?

    While ISA is gone as a true peripheral interconnect for new systems it does,
    actually, still live on in a lot of systems that Linux still supports. While
    those systems, generally, are running the same kernel and userspace they were
    a decade ago I have no doubt that somebody might find an old machine and put
    Linux on it - just because they could.

    And that also discounts the non-IBM PC machines that are out there that Linux
    also supports. While I don't know enough about them to say for sure, I am
    quite certain that at least some of them are still using the ISA bus.

      Last update: 2010-04-04 07:19    [W:0.020 / U:55.640 seconds]