SubjectRe: USB gadget with drivers "on board"
Michał Nazarewicz schrieb:
> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 22:14:54 +0200, Josua Dietze
> <> wrote:
>> Important for the Linux handling is that "mode 1" is clearly
>> distinguishable from "mode 2", either by using a different product ID
>> or by setting a different class for the device or interface 0 (will
>> most likely be "8" for the install mode).
> So it will be enough to change the USB device class for the zeroth
> interface for udev to recognise the mass storage to be ejected? Note
> that I will use mass storage in the second mode as well.

This is often the case with the common "zero-cd" devices, but
they have the storage on upper interface numbers after switching.

The point is to enable udev or any other tool to distinguish
between "unswitched" and "switched"; otherwise the procedure
for switching will be executed on *both* modes which might
disturb the device or the system.

A change in one of the attributes like iProduct or iSerial
could be detected as well of course.

> Also, I think that it might be a good idea to make some "standardised"
> mechanism for all such devices so that a generic udev code could be
> written. Adding things to the descriptors may be difficult in a way,
> but maybe adding "[NoCD]" to the interface name would be enough.

That is up to the (countless) manufacturers of course; on the
other hand, the Windows drivers need to recognize the mode as
well so there should always be one way or the other to
accomplish that.

Josua Dietze

  Last update: 2010-04-28 13:43    [W:0.070 / U:2.348 seconds]