SubjectRe: USB gadget with drivers "on board"
Alan Stern schrieb:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2010, Josua Dietze wrote:
>> These are the notorious mode switching devices. In Windows, they
>> obviously install a special storage driver doing one specific action
>> on each following plugging.
>> This action - some storage or control command - will "flip" the
>> device, making it "disconnect" and returning as a completely different
>> composite device.
>>
>> Storage commands used for this procedure range from "SCSI rezero" over
>> "passthrough" to "SCSI eject", or involve vendor specific stuff.
>
> I was going to say the same thing. For ease of use, I recommend using
> a "SCSI eject" to trigger the mode change. That way, Linux users who
> don't have the usb-modeswitch program installed can get the same effect
> by running eject.

Important for the Linux handling is that "mode 1" is clearly
distinguishable from "mode 2", either by using a different product ID
or by setting a different class for the device or interface 0 (will
most likely be "8" for the install mode).

And it might be a good idea not to re-use any known ID for the install
mode, like the 05c6:1000 which my Samsung phone and loads of other
devices are using.
This makes switch handling complicated (though not impossible).

Josua Dietze

  Last update: 2010-04-26 22:17    [W:0.070 / U:0.288 seconds]